ASSOCIATION OF PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATORS IN FINLAND
1. GENERAL INFORMATION
The Association of Physical and Health Educators in Finland is a non-profit pedagogic organization. Our main goal is to promote Physical and Health Education in Finland in close co-operation with the neighbouring countries in the Baltic Region and Scandinavia. We are also represented in the European Physical Education Association (EUPEA). Our association’s main goals are; to give advice to our members in various occupational matters, and to organize annual professional development courses, events and seminars.
Every person who has either completed or is undertaking a University Level Degree in Physical Education or Sports Sciences, or is teaching Physical Education is entitled to join our association. Currently, we have around 1500 members.
3. MEMBERS IN THE FIELD OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Our members are employed in various areas in the field of Physical and Health Education, and Sport Culture. Some of which include the following:
- Comprehensive and Upper Secondary Schools
- Vocational and Polytechnic Institutes
- Universities and Colleges
- Sports Academies and Institutes
- Open Universities
- Various Sports Organizations and Foundations
- Private Companies and some working as private entrepreneurs
The Association of Physical and Health Educators in Finland are led by a board that consists of a chairperson, executive manager (the only full time employee of the association), two deputy chairs and six other board members, and two deputy board members. We also have two student representatives from the University of Jyväskylä, Faculty of Physical and Health Education. The chairperson and board members are elected for two year terms at the Spring Meeting, and can serve for the maximum of six years as board members. The board meets five times a year and uses democratic decision making in its meetings.
Besides the five yearly board meetings, the board members and some voluntary persons also meet regularly in the following committees to assist the board in preparing different issues and organising various events. The following committees are:
- Pedagogical Committee
- Occupational Health Committee
- Professional Development Committee
- Information and Marketing Committee
- International Committee
- Honouree Committee
6. REGIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
Working in co-operation with our association there are also 18 regional associations that organize various events and happenings within their area for their members.
7. ANNUAL EVENTS
Our association is involved with organising a few annual events for a larger group of Physical and Health Educators, these are:
- Annual Training Days and Spring Meeting (venue changes each year)
- Annual Autumn Seminar in Jyväskylä or Helsinki
- International Seminar for PE Teachers in Vierumäki (every other year)